OptiFine is a Minecraft optimization mod which is intended to be able to improve performance, reduce lag and also to increase FPS. With this mod, you will have Minecraft which can run faster and look better with full support for HD textures.
There are a lot of configuration options. OptiFine also supports HD fonts, HD textures, fonts which differ from the vanilla textures, and many more.
OptiFine has a lot of features. You are able to see some of them below.
- It has an FPS boost. It can double the FPS and also decreases lag spikes and smooths gameplay.
- It supports HD Textures. It has HD textures and HD fonts, custom terrain and item textures, animated terrain and item textures, custom colors, custom HD Font character widths, custom lighting, custom black color palettes and unlimited texture size.
- It supports shaders based on the Shaders Mod by Karyonix.
- It has dynamic lights. It permits handheld and dropped light emitting items to be able to illuminate the objects around them. It is the same but not related to the Dynamic Lights mod.
- It has variable render distance from Tiny to Extreme (2x Far) in 16m steps. Moon, stars, and sun are also visible in Tiny and Short distance.
- The smooth lighting is configurable from 1% which is smooth lighting without shadows to 100% which is smooth lighting with full shadows.
- It has FPS control including smooth FPS which can stabilize FPS by flushing the graphics driver buffers and smooth input which fixes stuck keys, slow input and sound lag by setting correct thread priorities.
- It gives you clear water and transparent water with good visibility underwater.
- It gives you better snow. It fixes transparent blocks textures to match surrounding snow terrain.
- It can connect textures for glass panes, glass, sandstone and bookshelf blocks which are next to each other.
- And many more features.
Now, how about the OptiFine 1.16 version which is official? As you know that the official site of OptiFine is optifine.net. In this site, there are some menus including Home, Downloads, Donate, Cape, Login and FAQ. If you want to download OptiFine in any version, you are able to access the Downloads menu. On that page, you are able to find any versions, but there is no OptiFine 1.16 version. However, you are able to find and download OptiFine 1.16.3 HD U, OptiFine 1.16.2 HD U, and OptiFine 1.16.1 HD U. There are also Optifine 1.14.4 HD U, OptiFine 1.14.3 HD U, OptiFine 1.13.2 HD U, OptiFine 1.13.1 HD U, OptiFine 1.13 HD U, OptiFine 1.12.2 HD U, and many more. You are able to access the Downloads page of OptiFine site to know more about it.
In Minecraft Forums site, you are even able to find the OptiFine History so that you can know what versions of OptiFine are available. There, you can see that there is no OptiFine 1.16. So, you may be able to download the available one. If you wonder which OptiFine edition that you should get, according to OptiFine FAQ, OptiFine Ultra is the most popular edition because it has the most optimizations and features which are able to increase FPS.